Monday, January 02, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

I've never been a big fan of imposing new rules on myself just because the calendar flips and we add one to the current year to come up with a new year.  But, this being a blog, I need something to write about.  Below are some New Year's Resolutions and my hints at how you can succeed in keeping these resolutions.

1) Spend more time with Family & Friends

 To me this one is surprising, mainly because so many people have been out of work for parts of the last three years.  I took a few days off between Christmas and New Year's and I'll tell you after six straight days with my son and daughter, I was ready to get back to the quiet of my office, even if it was for just a half day.

2) Get fit

This one is pretty easy.  Get your fat ass off the couch, away from the computer and stop eating so many damn potato chips, fatty.

3) Lose Weight

See above.  It's pretty much the same concept, but I'll throw something else in.  Next time you are at McDonald's and you order a double cheeseburger, a large fry, an apple pie and diet Coke, I have a suggestion.  Skip the diet Coke. It's not what is putting you over the edge.  And drop the Apple pie.  Get a small fry instead of a large fry.  Or just don't eat at McDonald's every day.

4) Quit Smoking

Having never smoked, I have no advice for this.  If a winter like we had last year where smokers stood outside in three feet of snow when it was ten degrees out didn't make you quit, its never gonna happen.

5) Save Money/Get out of debt

This one is easy.  Eat out less.  Buy less crap you don't need.  If you don't have money for it, don't buy it.

6) Quit Drinking

Come on, no one likes a quitter.  How about just drinking less to start off?  Pass up the Irish coffee in the morning and say no to that extra beer at happy hour.  Or when you are out at a bar and someone hands you a beer and you don't want, wait a minute, then find another person to hand it to.  It works trust me.  Oh, and if you drink less you will lose weight.

7) Learn Something new

This shouldn't have to be a resolution.  You should be doing this every day.  Today I learned that even though I warned her, my daughter likes the spicy Doritos.  At first.  Then the spice hits and she doesn't like them so much.

8) Finish things that you start.

This is easy.  Just set simple goals like, "I'm going to climb those six stairs."  Then climb them.  Hopefully you have been working on numbers 2 and 3.  That will help, too.


Now, just to get in the spirit of things, I did make a few resolutions.

1) Floss more. Trust me, I don't know if I could floss less.

2) Post more to this blog.  If I break thirty readers, I will totally do this.

That's it for me.  I'm hoping I can keep these modest resolutions.  For those who are losing weight and getting in shape as part of your resolutions, I'll see you in the gym this week.  And that's probably it because you will stop coming next week.

Happy New Year.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Resolutions for the rest of the world

Only suckers make resolutions that start on January 1 st . You just spent a night celebrating the end of the old year and the beginning of t...